BRUSSELS has been accused of impinging on Germany’s sovereignty after it launched legal action against the country’s constitutional court.
Here’s what was said:
German MEP Gunnar Beck states the EU is attempting to force the independent Karlsruhe court to:
- “subordinate itself to the ECJ”.
- “Which equates to a loss of sovereignty for Germany,”
- “This protection is not only permissible, but also mandatory.”
- “By the way, the relationship between the EU and national law is similar to that of many other national constitutional courts, among others in Denmark, Hungary or Poland.”
- “The EU is not sovereign, but the member states.”